Spooktacular Update


It is the month of October, but we all know it better as spooky season!!
The festivities have begun, and I couldn't be happier. So far this month we've learned about neuromuscular physiology along with the ANS and cardiovascular drugs. I was able to relate the closest with this past module because we talked about neuromuscular blockers like Atropine. I work as an office assistant for an ophthalmologist, and she has allowed me to shadow her over the summer. She administers atropine eye drops to dilate patient's eyes when performing a routine retina exam. I learned with her that it is not to be used on patients with glaucoma. Seeing it appear again, as we're being taught this material in class, made me happy. A part of my job is to input patient data to the computer such as demographics and medications they are on. At first, I was googling a lot of the drugs to see what they were used for. With this program, I'm learning so much about all these drugs that I google them a lot less in work now! We recently had a class about hypolipidemic drugs, and I recognized several of the medications mentioned because they are used by people that come to the office. The "statin" group for example, is a frequently seen drug that many take to treat high cholesterol levels. Medications help so many people and I'm grateful to have the opportunity to learn more about them and how they do what they do. We finished taking an exam earlier this week, so Halloween weekend will be a fun, stress-free, time! 

Comments

Popular Posts